Every time we look up capsule wardrobes, we find nothing but neutrals. We love a good basic moment but also, we love colour. So we’ve decided to create our own colourful capsule for the extra ladies out there who love to make a statement.
Are you ready to say goodbye to your staples of black, greys and neutrals, and inject some colour into your wardrobe? With a few bold pieces in complementary hues that work together effortlessly, you can get the most out of a smaller capsule collection. Play along as we show you how a colourful capsule wardrobe can be all about adding vibrancy and fun to everyday dressing. Feel the need to review colour theory? Check out our post on colour here.
Prep work: Closet Clean out
Go through the pieces in your closet that are no longer working for you. If they don’t fit, move them out of sight. If they are out of date or in bad condition- get them out. Throw them in a rubbermaid, a storage box, in a spare bedroom, in the basement… wherever, but they don’t need to be in your closet right now. You might wear them again but not TODAY. Read more here with ways you can Fix your Wardrobe. Once you have narrowed down your closet to your most wearable pieces, we can start. This way you can find pieces you have that will work before you go out and buy more.
Step 1: Build up your Basics
Every capsule wardrobe should have a few key pieces that can be mixed and matched to create a variety of looks. These basics might include a white button-down shirt, black pants, a denim skirt, or a little black dress.
Step 2: Step up your Statements
Once you have the basics covered, it’s time to add in some statement pieces that will help to make your capsule wardrobe unique. These could be items like a printed blazer, a brightly coloured scarf, or a pair of patterned shoes
Step 3: Edit Regularly
Your capsule wardrobe should be ever-evolving, so don’t be afraid to edit it on a regular basis. As your style changes or as you acquire new pieces, you may find that certain items no longer work with your overall aesthetic. That’s perfectly okay! Just donate or sell those items and replace them with something new. Even better, sign up for a Belong Closet Sale!
A Few Capsule Creating Tips
- Choose versatile pieces. When selecting items for your capsule wardrobe, it’s important to choose versatile pieces that can be worn in a variety of ways. For example, a denim jacket can be worn over a dress for a casual look or paired with jeans and a tee for a more laid-back outfit.
- Have fun with it! Building a capsule wardrobe doesn’t have to be serious business—it should be fun! So have fun experimenting with different combinations of pieces and don’t be afraid to step outside of your comfort zone.
A Colourful Capsule at Belong
A colourful capsule wardrobe is all about selecting a few versatile and statement pieces that can be mixed and matched to create multiple outfits. Here’s a list of wardrobe pieces to get for a colourful capsule wardrobe:
- High-waisted, wide-leg trousers in a bold colour or a neutral that will go with everything. This depends entirely on your level of commitment to colour.
- A statement midi or maxi dress in a bright print or hue
- A tailored blazer in a vibrant colour. You can go matchy-matchy with your trousers, a contrasting colour or a neutral that will play nicely with your palette.
- A classic trench coat in a neutral colour. Take it up a colourful notch and pick a bold colour.
- A blouse or a button up in a jewel tone.
- A cashmere sweater or a cozy knit in a rich, saturated colour.
- A midi skirt in a bold pattern or hue. OR bonus points if you throw in a denim skirt.
- A statement accessory, like a colourful scarf or statement earrings or a bold purse.
- Comfortable, sleek sneakers in a cream/white.
- A pair of ballet flats in a bold colour
- A classic pair of jeans in a medium wash
- A simple, versatile t-shirt in a neutral color to balance out the bold pieces.
- A bodysuit in a lighter shade of your blazer or trousers.
Remember, the key to a successful capsule wardrobe is to focus on versatile pieces that can be worn in multiple ways, so choose pieces that can be dressed up or down and mixed and matched with ease.
Here are a few of our favourite pieces at Belong to help you build your colourful capsule.